- Brinjal – 4
- Garlic flakes – 20 to 25
- Sambar Onion – 10 to 15
- Tamarind – Lemon size
- Vatha Kuzhambu Podi – 2 teaspoons (heaped)
- Asafotida Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Gingelly Oil – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves and coriander leaves – few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
I prepared this kuzhambu with ready made “Aachi Vatha Kuzhambu Masala” and the taste is really good. If you do not have it, then use any kind of Vatha Kuzhambu Podi available.
- Peel the skin from garlic and onion. Cut the brinjal into medium size pieces and put it in water.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice. Add sufficient water and make it two and half cups. Add salt, turmeric powder, asafetida powder and vatha kuzhambu podi to the tamarind water.
- In a kadai put the oil and when it is hot add mustard. When it pops up add whole garlic, onion, curry leaves, coriander leaves and fry for two to three minutes. Add brinjal pieces and fry for few seconds. Then add tamarind water. If necessary add little more water and stir well. Close with a lid and cook it on medium flame till the vegetables are soft and oil separates.
- Also try these other Kuzhambu recipes.