- Green French Beans (Cut into 2″ thin pieces lengthwise) – 1 big bowl
- Thuvar dal – 1/2 cup
- Bengal gram dal – 1/2 cup
- Red chillies – 2 to 3 Nos
- Sambar powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- A pinch of asafetida
- Coconut gratings – two tablespoons (optional)
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves few
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Soak both the dals for two hours. Drain the water and grind along with chillies, asafetida, pinch of turmeric powder and salt to a coarse paste (like vadai dough). Grease idli plate and put the paste into that and steam it like idli for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove it and cool it. Break it by your fingers into tiny bits.
- In a vessel put the beans and add sambar powder, salt and sprinkle little water. Mix well. Cook on medium flame till it is cooked soft. Keep it aside.
- In another kadai put the remaining oil. When it is hot add mustard. When it pops up add curry leaves and then add cooked dhal and fry for a while. Then add cooked beans and mix well. Keep it on low flame for few more minutes. Then add coconut gratings and mix well. Keep it on the stove for one more minute and remove.
- Goes well with Mor Kuzhambu.