This Paruppu Keerai Masiyal can be prepared with any type of greens(keerai).
- Keerai (Greens) – 1 bunch
- Green gram or Thoor dhal – ½ cup
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli – 1
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
- Onion – 1 small
- Tomato- 1
- Sambar powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Asafotida Powder – a pinch
- Oil- 2 tsp
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Take Thuvar (toor dhal) or green gram dhal and cook till soft.
- Remove the roots and wash the keerai thoroughly. Chop the keerai finely.
- Place the chopped keerai in a heavy metal pan. Add jeera, finely chopped tomato, salt, sambar powder and turmeric powder.
- Cook the keerai in slow flame. No need to add water since the keerai will cook in its own water content.
- When the keerai is cooked, add cooked dhal mashed well. Keep the stove in low flame.
- Heat a kadai and pour the oil. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter add red chilli, urad dhal, asafotida powder and the finely chopped onion. Fry it for a while and add this to the keerai.
- Mash well with thick spoon. Now the Paruppu Keerai Masiyal is ready.